To Reefton or Bust.

Ride Reports Pictures and Videos
Cruiser
Reactions:

To Reefton or Bust.

Post by Cruiser »

20240908_144825.jpg
Should have known right from the start, the day was going to take its own path. Starting with letting the high pressure air out of my front tubeless system. Then thinking I had a puncture. Proceeded to change it in the garage.

A huge thanks to all the boys who attended this ride. I often say a ride is only as good as the people you ride with. This could not have been more highlighted than with the events that unfolded during this ride.

9 of us suited up and ready to ride. A local leading the proluge with me sweeping.
Leaving the oval just after 9am. Aimed to be at the pub at 1.00pm. Back at the cars between 3-4pm.
The storms produced some trees down. The clearing we had to do to get thru was likened only to when I rode Kinglake after the storms up that way. Throw into the mix some bike repairs that needed to be done on the side of the trk and the initial prologue that was supposed to finish at 11am carried thru to 12.30pm having covered only 24kms.
Everyone still smiling we carried on to the next part of the ride.
This is where we ride straight past the fuel dump. Aiming to use that on the way back.

Things flowed a bit more as no tree damage and bikes running nice.
Hit the Pipeline with its steep up and down making a straight run for the pub still thinking we were going to make lunch.
Arrived at 2.30pm. missed out on lunch. Only Sean carrying a bite to eat. So beer and chips it was,
Dusty met us at the pub having hung around way past the time slot he allocated.
The trip back was going great till we started to realize the prologue had chewed thru more petrol than I had anticipated.
Got to Big Pats and some were already on reserve with approx. 20ks to the fuel dump. It was now around 4.00pm. Hit burns Rd. all we had to do was get to the other end of the road some 15ks.
Didn’t happen. The 2 bangers started falling to the side of the road. First Tom Then Rob.

The Plan. I ride with John to the fuel dump. We grab the fuel and bring it back. Off we go. Then I ran out approx. 10ks from fuel dump. Jumped on the back of johns bike for a few ks. Then let him go by himself for the rest to grab what he could carry.
Fuel came back via John To where I was. The two 4ts and Adrian had come to where I was standing. The others had reached my bike.
Got fuel on 2 bikes. Me on the back of one and off to find the rest a few kms back down the road.
Getting onto 5.30pm by now. Bikes are fueled . ride back to where the others are waiting. Fueled them up. Was getting quite dark by now. After 6pm. Rode slowly with our lighting for the few ks back to the end of the track where we were met by my son in 4x4 incase we needed any form of assistance.

The rain had started quite heavy. Approx. 6.30pm was cold and dark. But we soldiered on back to the Wesburn oval which was probably another 15ks.
Back at the cars no time for sitting around. The guys started packing up while tom and myself still had to ride a further 6ks back to my house. Having covered approx. 114kms for the day.

Well that’s my story. I loved the day. Mainly because of the comradery and high sprits that were maintained whilst realizing a few small changes could have made the day just another ride to the pub. Loved the trks we rode. The banter the laughs. Even when things were looking a bit grim. Would ride with you blokes again anytime. Thanks for the memories.

Till we ride again
Cruiser
Cruiser
Reactions:

Re: To Reefton or Bust.

Post by Cruiser »

20240908_124756.jpg
20240908_103331.jpg
20240908_103312.jpg
20240908_103305.jpg
20240908_095236.jpg
20240908_095205.jpg
20240908_095158.jpg
Cruiser
Reactions:

Post by Cruiser »

20240908_141512.jpg
20240908_141459.jpg
20240908_141454.jpg
20240908_140505.jpg
20240908_140457.jpg
20240908_140447.jpg
20240908_140431.jpg
Dope
Reactions:

Post by Dope »

Nothing much to add to the write up, except, what a great day filled with fun
2022 Yamaha WR450F, 2009 Sherco ST250
Dann
Reactions:

Post by Dann »

Sounds like a bit of an epic one you'll remember forever👍
Cruiser
Reactions:

Post by Cruiser »

Dann wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:52 am Sounds like a bit of an epic one you'll remember forever👍
I think the next closest ride that stays in the memory was Neerim with Ringbarker. Getting back to cars at 8.30pm.
Bonez
Reactions:

Post by Bonez »

Hmmm cruisy day out for a feed, thought this sounded good leading up to the day!
Ended up being to reefton and back hell ride lol, riding in the dark for me was hard without a working headlight and to top it off started raining heavy which didn't help either.
But before all that unfolded it was a fun fill day with logs everywhere to try and improve your skills on nice and slippery 😉
The hilly pipe line section was a buzz, and the fast flowing trails after the pub was good fun.
Thanks for a great day all and thanks to the sweeps keeping it all moving.
Until next time 🍻
Last edited by Bonez on Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairyone
Reactions:

Post by hairyone »

10+ years ago, a Mate & I camped in our vans at Araluen (which has fuel)...
Mate had his KLX 650 & I had my TE 610. Rode dirt to Nelligen (which has fuel).
On the way back, we became lost & got to bingo fuel; both of us on reserve.

We drank 2 beers, I decanted all my fuel into his bike; then laid my bike on it's side under a wattle tree, well off the track. I put/made a rock cairn & went.
Next morn', he doubled me back, with 4 litres of fuel & more beer for the task.

I'd hidden my bike that well that even I/we couldn't find it; took an hour+ of plodding/trudging about in the scrub:-
Us silly mugs; loudly squabbling, whilst stumbling all around in hot summer sun.

If ever you're a pillion for long distances: & the bike doesn't have pillion pegs:-
Place/put your toes barely on the pegs; under the riders heels (holds them on).
You'll both adapt & you'll keep your balls.
Last edited by hairyone on Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 19 times in total.
RihanMeij
Reactions:

Post by RihanMeij »

This was an epic adventure, had such a good time!

Learned how to ride with with my feet hanging on the radiator shrouds, and Cruise with his feet on the pegs.
We made a plan!

110% would do that again!
Little John
Reactions:

Post by Little John »

I think Cruiser’s initial comments are completely on point for this ride.

I could not have asked for a better bunch of blokes to go riding with. Everyone had a positive attitude and a great sense of humour. I cant remember the last time I laughed so much, on a ride.

Great report and pics, cruiser.

Although the ride had a series of unfortunate events, I would head back out with this group and do it all again in a heart beat.

@hairyone, that is exactly the conclusion Cruiser and I came to, after dinking him for some time and him needing a rest, as his legs were about to fall off. Pillon passengers feet on the pegs, riders feet on the pillions.

I think my crowing achievement for the day was working out how to balance 3 10 litre jerry cans full of fuel, on my lap, and then ride 4 or 5 kms on a bumpy arse, slippery track back to the boy who had run out of fuel. Must have looked quite amusing, I’m glad no one manage to take a pic.

***PUN INCOMMING.
Not even getting back in the dark and pouring rain could dampen my spirits after this ride.

Thanks Cruiser and all the guys, you made this a ride to remember. Cant wait to get out there again.