Body Armour

The Place for all things bike Related from Bike Reviews to Riding Tips
MrNoodle
Reactions:

Body Armour

Post by MrNoodle »

Howdy all.

I'm on the mend and after the recent events in Tassie, will have to look for new body armour. I was running the Leatt 5.5 body armour and it was getting on in age and had plenty of abuse as well as being held together with some dodgy sewing. I did like it and liked that it worked with my neck brace. I see they are still around and thinking of going the same again but wondering what everyone is running?

There is a chance that the Leatt armour did attribute to my broken arm by point loading perfectly between the shoulder pad and elbow pad but it has also saved me hundreds of times!

I remember the compression suits that people started wearing that were fully soft foam but in an impact they firmed up. Not wanting roost only protection as I crash lots!
Living and loving life
Dope
Reactions:

Re: Body Armour

Post by Dope »

I have had the Leatt 5.5 body armour and am currently running the Alpinestars Bionic.

I have had many offs with the Leatt and nothing bad ever happened, maybe luck of the draw or the armour is just amazing.

I have also had a couple of offs with the Alpinestars, recently went shoulder first into a stump at around 30kph, thought I was gonna die, could not breath, turned out I was just being a baby, had a giant bruise on my shoulder and upper arm, but nothing serious.

So both of these are good in my opinion, but the Leatt has a built in kidney belt that is a hell of a lot better than the one on the Alpinestar, admittedly, the Leatt is also a lot more expensive.

I would say, buy the best one you can afford.
2022 Yamaha WR450F, 2009 Sherco ST250
eagle
Reactions:

Post by eagle »

Being an old MX rider i've always worn the harder plastic type armour, i think the fact that the armour actually sits off your body is a good idea, it's good for air circulation plus i think it has give & impact is cushioned more because of it's design ?
I also come off a fair bit & seem to either slide in a shoulder, side or once wrapped myself around a tree, that was pretty interesting outcome, i hit the tree with my chest & ab area, i stood up & was amazed that it was like nothing had happened :)
I use TLD armour & also use their elbow forearm protector/sleeve 5550, i've tested them out & they work pretty well also :)
2t4me
Reactions:

Post by 2t4me »

I run the 5.5 as well - I still haven't seen anything else out there that I would replace it with.

It's big and bulky and may well be hotter than some of the options out there but I don't think anything else offers the same level of protection - the "flank" protection was a big plus for me when I got it as nothing else had it and to my knowledge nothing else does yet...
MarkC
Reactions:

Post by MarkC »

I’ve been 8 years wearing EVS G6 armour suit. It has saved me countless times. It’s only fault as I’ve recently discovered is rib protection. I still have this in size M (used lots)and XL (hardly used). If you’d like to try they are Both in good condition
A couple of times recently I’ve badly hurt ribs probably from catching the handlebars on the way past. So I’ve now upgraded to Leatt 5.5 pro (vest type) and added some EVS elbow guards. Haven’t really tested it out yet but it is full wrap around flank protection.
MrNoodle
Reactions:

Post by MrNoodle »

Leatt do have a 6.5 now but almost doesn't look as good in pictures???

This below is the soft one but I remember many people complained about being too hot in them.

Living and loving life
Ghost Rider
Reactions:

Post by Ghost Rider »

I'm wearing the leatt air flex Noods
MrNoodle
Reactions:

Post by MrNoodle »

Well you do heaps of hot sweaty riding, must be not too bad? You don't fall off at low speed like me but it must be alright protection? Just hard to believe it works so well
Living and loving life
MrNoodle
Reactions:

Post by MrNoodle »

Ghost Rider wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:39 am I'm wearing the leatt air flex Noods
Well you do heaps of hot sweaty riding, must be not too bad? You don't fall off at low speed like me but it must be alright protection? Just hard to believe it works so well
Living and loving life