Having an accident

The Place for all things bike Related from Bike Reviews to Riding Tips
Dope
Reactions:

Having an accident

Post by Dope »

Hey all,

So last weekend had a bit of a scare when I came off, felt like I broke ribs and shoulder and what not, ended up me just being a little baby and only bruised muscles, but this led me to an interesting discussion with my riding buddy.

What the hell do you do when you have a bad stack and you need help as soon as possible? In my case I have private medical aid, which seems like a waste after this weekends experience, as well as medicare, as we all hopefully have, I also have a fully registered bike, so should be covered there as well.

But what do you do? Do you call 000? Do you contact an ambulance service? Do you put your shit in a bag and drive yourself out, this is what we ended up doing? Or do you just curl into a ball and hope the man with the sickle comes quickly for you?

I might just be an idiot and the answer is straight forward, but its been bugging me for the last week, so thought I would ask
2022 Yamaha WR450F, 2009 Sherco ST250
Cruiser
Reactions:

Re: Having an accident

Post by Cruiser »

Been in this situation a couple of times.
Rec reg or full reg. You are covered by TAC.
If you have reception call 000 get an ambulance or chopper as close as you can to the accident scene.
Sometimes no reception. Sometimes ambulance can only get to with 20kms of where your at .. all this is having to be assest and configured on what is best for the injured party at the time. Getting Injured riders out of the Bush to a spot they can be picked up without causing further injury is challenging.
Sometimes you ride to the ambulance with a stick hanging out of you.😬
Gypsy501
Reactions:

Post by Gypsy501 »

Buy a PLB or EPIRB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrNoodle
Reactions:

Post by MrNoodle »

I have been on a few rides with big injuries and the crew have always worked together well.

Stay calm, think logical, perform first aid, call 000, if you cant get reception, try someone elses phone or ride around nearby to try and find reception. See if someone has an epirb. We've had people ride out with a broken back (wouldn't recommend that again but she didn't know at the time), dislocated shoulders, stake injuries etc but the choppers can get close and luckily I've never had one of those turn up.

I guess there is safety in numbers is where I am at. If you get hurt bad and your on your own then that could be game over and this thought made another ex forum member mate give up bikes after a big injury and riding alone.

Another thing I still use on my phone and lots of other members used to have is ICE as a contact in your phone. ICE stands for In Case of Emergency and its your main contact (spose/partner/parent/relative)
Living and loving life
Dope
Reactions:

Post by Dope »

Luckily I never ride alone, I know how quickly things can go wrong, so I do not even risk it.

But thanks for confirming that 000 is pretty much the way to go. Just need to make sure one of the group has a phone with them.
Cruiser
Reactions:

Post by Cruiser »

You don't take your phone???
Tuck your phone in a plastic bag. Wrap it in a cloth. Put it in your bag where it will be best protected from an off.
Do what you have to. But don't leave your only possible point of communication with help in the car.
Besides. You may miss a call from work while out riding.😂😂
Dope
Reactions:

Post by Dope »

There is usually a phone between us, either mounted to handlebar for nav or in the hydration pack.

It does get put on silent though, not going to ruin my ride with a phone that starts ringing
donniedarko
Reactions:

Post by donniedarko »

000 only works if have mobile coverage.
112 works if you don't have mobile coverage which links to the 000 service. See link below.

https://www.studymelbourne.vic.gov.au/l ... %20service.

There is an app called Emergency Plus which pin points your location with "what3words" which you can provide to the operator for a precise location. Location services needs to be turned on your phone for this to work.
Walkahz
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by Walkahz »

I carry a PLB
https://kti.com.au/safety-alert-plb/

This paired with a phone Should be a good place to start in 90% of situations.

If there is a serious injury set off PLB and get someone to find service and make a phone call to 000 letting them know you have set off the PLB and what they need to prepare for.

Phones are good but explaining where you are on the phone to an operator sitting in the city could be troublesome "im at the bottom of 3rd gear hill Mt Disspointment" isnt going to cut it.
The PLB gives the exact location to the cavalry to come to your rescue. The phone just helps them send the right equipment the first time.
Bikes:
Beta 300RR
Many Vintage Yamaha's
OMG_Jay
Reactions:

Post by OMG_Jay »

Every rider should have Ambulance Victoria membership > https://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/membership/fees-terms/

A LOT of rider's think that there private insurance covers them for ambulance call outs but find that it either only covers metropolitan or partially covers from a certain distance from major city/town..whilst you don't think of this when ya mate is injured but calling air ambulance is bloody expensive!!

A PLB is the best for what we do (EPIRB really for marine), press the button and help is on the way.

If you have mobile reception, ring 000.

Before you ride, l would encourage to download the area that you riding in google maps which is called offline maps - this helps greatly to find out where you are and the nearest main track which will help the 000 operators:
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... %3DAndroid
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... form%3DiOS

The Emergency app are great and so is the St John's or First Aid apps which helps you with basic first aid hints...just be sure to get familiar with these apps as you don't want to learn about them in an emergency situation.

There are so many variables to consider but there is one golden rule for me, you can't panic because your mates life might depend on it (sorry for the heavy conscious)...riding with 3 people is really great as one can stay with the patient and the other can go to the main road and guide the ambo's because sometimes a helicopter can't access the injured rider.